Monday, November 26, 2007

Cauliflower Cream



Yes, I'm bad, I haven't posted in forever!! I've been busy. And lazy. And have been trying to let mom cook more because I have a control-freak issue. I have still been having health issues, so I went and had my blood taken again today. I am a little irritated and feel pretty awful (achy, bloated, hungry, angry). I made this a couple weeks ago (on my best friend's birthday, actually). I finally got to use my immersion blender on it. Whoa, that thing is powerful!!! I would love to use it on a soup, but I don't know the best way to without burning myself!! Mom and I finally got a really nice food processor, too, which I made coleslaw with the other day. I would love to use it for something else soon. I bought some white whole wheat flour the other day and would like to find a recipe to use that on. I tried one tonight but it didn't turn out so well...I used Smart Balance Light spread for the butter, but real butter is actually probably better for you, so go with that. This was a little watery when I cooked it, probably due to the small casserole dish I used.

Cauliflower Cream--adapted from Veggie Venture (http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2007/11/cauliflower-cream.html)

Ingredients:
1 large cauliflower (about 2 pounds)
1 tbl butter
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, diced
1 chicken bouillon cube, crushed
1 cup light sour cream
2 tbl butter
Pepper to taste
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350°. Bring a big pot of water to a boil. Cut up the cauliflower and cook until soft, about 10-15 minutes. Drain well.

Meanwhile, in a large non-stick skillet on medium heat, melt 1 tbl of butter. Add onion, garlic, and bouillon cube until tender. Combine the cauliflower, onion mixture, and 2 tbl butter in a bowl and blend with your immersion blender (careful, it's hot!!) OR, combine it all in a food processor and puree until smooth. Transfer to a sprayed dish (bigger than an 8x8, what I used, but not sure on the size). Top with Parmesan cheese and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until warmed through. Should feed at least six, unless someone really likes it and is really hungry!

Nutritional Value per serving: 159 Cal, 10.5g Fat, 7.2g Sat Fat, 357mg Sod, 7.4g Carb, 3.3g Sug, 3.5g Fib, 2.7g Protein

~Enjoy!

No comments: